Budget> Budget Part - A
Budget Part - A
Highlights - Excerpts
from the Budget Speech – 2005-06
1. We are striving continuously to achieve the overall development and modernisation
of the State through Panchamrut Yojana, that is "Gyanshakti" (Power
of Knowledge), "Jalshakti" (Power of Water), "Urjashakti"
(Power of Energy), "Janshakti" (Manpower) and "Rakshashakti"
(Power of Security).
2. Even in the midst of a number of natural calamities, such as the cyclone,
drought and the earthquake, Gujarat had recorded 10.5 percent growth rate
in 2002-03 and taken a quantum jump by recording 15.4 percent growth rate
in the year 2003-04.
Annual Development Plan
3. As a result, more financial resources are being made available
for developmental schemes of the State. After a detailed discussion held
with the Planning Commission to decide the size of Annual Plan 2005-06,
the Annual Plan has been decided at Rs.11000 crore. An increase of Rs.2500
crore as compared to the current year 2004-05, this is a record increase
of about 29 percent.
4. State Government has adopted a scientific approach in agriculture
of "Soil to Satellite" and "Lab to Land" projects.
5. Care is being taken at all levels to prevent water, air and
land pollution owing to industries. Government is committed to make Gujarat
greener and reduce the level of pollution.
6. The works of preventing salinity ingress in the land of coastal
districts of Saurashtra, Katchchh and South Gujarat, under the Sujalam Sufalam
Yojana has been given approval and adequate financial provision for the
same is proposed. With a view to solve the drinking water problems in Saurashtra,
Kachchh and North Gujarat covering 8215 villages and 135 cities, the works
under the Narmada Canal Based scheme are progressing as per the stipulated
time schedule. In the same areas to solve the problem of drinking water
quality in 4904 villages works are taken up under the Sujalam Sufalam Yojana.
7. Formerly, the height of the dam was increased maximum 5 meters
at a stretch in a year, but for the first time it was increased by 10.64
meters in a year and reached the remarkable height of 110.64 mts. Just within
the short duration of a month, the concrete work of 1,64,699 cubic mts.
has been carried out, which is also an achievement.
8. Gujarat remained leader in the improvement of energy sector.
Gujarat Electricity Board has been successfully unbundled into four distribution
companies; one generation company, one transmission company and one development
company, i.e. in seven companies.
9. Hon'ble Speaker, I am pleased to announce in this house that
earlier in this very house, Hon'ble Chief Minister had announced to provide
three-phase electricity supply for 24 hours to all the villages of Gujarat.
Now this work is on the verge of successful completion.
10. This Government has increased the allocation in Social Services
to an incredible amount of around 37% in the Rs.11000 crores Annual Plan.
11. Because of the persistent efforts by the State Government,
the drop-out rate has decreased from 38% to 17.5%.
12. Owing to the two historic events, i.e. Global Investment Summit-2003
and 2005, today, Gujarat has become an attractive State for investment in
the entire world. In the year 2003, out of 76 projects with total investment
of Rs.66,000 crores, 56 projects have been operationalised with capital
investment of Rs.54,400 crores. In the Global Investment Summit-2005, eminent
corporate houses, foreign companies and neo-entrepreneurs have expressed
their willingness to set up projects with a total capital investment of
Rs.1,06,160 crores under 226 MoUs.
13. Government desires to implement the Urban Development Year
2005 as "Urban Mission" and Government has decided to create a
"Gujarat Urban Infrastructure Fund" to provide adequate financial
Women & Child Development
14. With the view to remove the gender bias and prevent any type
of violence against women, the Government has established Gender Resource
Centre and a provision of Rs.3.78 crores has been made for the same.
15. The current provision for the year 2004-05 under Tribal Area
Sub-Plan is Rs.820 crores. With massive increase, I propose a provision
of Rs.1387 crores for the next year 2005-06.
here to view the detailed Budget Part - A